John Marx Leadership Award
SAEM seeks nominations for the John Marx Leadership Award. This award honors an SAEM member who has made exceptional contributions to emergency medicine through leadership – locally, regionally, nationally or internationally – with priority given to those with demonstrated leadership within SAEM.
The Awards Committee wishes to consider as many exceptional candidates as possible and is committed to an inclusive process of granting awards, reflecting the full spectrum of diversity of our membership. We encourage you to nominate a diverse pool of candidates for all SAEM awards.
The nomination period for 2024 SAEM Awards is October 1 to December 9, 2023.
New this year, the SAEM Awards Committee has developed a standardized letter template for you to use when creating your nomination packet.
Previous awardees are ineligible. Candidates are evaluated on their leadership contributions including (but not limited to) those related to:
- Major leadership positions within SAEM
- Major leadership positions within other EM organizations
- Leadership in research
- Leadership in education
- Contributions to the growth of academic emergency medicine
- Advancement of emergency medicine regionally, nationally or internationally
Nominations may be submitted by any SAEM member. Nominations should include a copy of the candidate's CV and a cover letter describing his or her qualifications. Each completed application must include the following:
- A current CV of the candidate
- A brief (1- 2 paragraph) biographical summary
- A cover letter by the nominator addressing the above areas and the impact on emergency medicine (please download the standardized letter template to create your cover letter)
- While not mandatory, a maximum of 2 additional support letters may be submitted (these may use the standardized letter template or be written free-form, limited to 2 pages)
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.