The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine recognizes there are many valuable non-ACGME-approved post-graduate training opportunities for EM residency graduates. In an effort to promote standardization of training for fellows, this program has been
developed for eligible programs to earn the endorsement of SAEM as an approved fellowship. SAEM has developed guidelines for training programs that address milestones in curricular elements, faculty support recommendations, and career development
Fellows that complete an SAEM-approved fellowship are also considered by SAEM to have earned the standard qualifications and skills of an emergency medicine fellow in the specialized area of training. Fellows must enroll in the SAEM program and meet the stated requirements in order to be considered approved. Fellows will receive a certificate of approval upon completion.
EM Fellowship Approval Programs
- Administrative Fellowship
- Disaster Medicine Fellowship
- Education Scholarship Fellowship
- Geriatric Fellowship
- Global EM Fellowship
- Research Fellowship
- Simulation Fellowship
- Social EM Fellowship
- Telehealth Fellowship
- Wilderness Medicine Fellowship
For a complete list of all SAEM-approved fellowships, please visit the Fellowship Directory and look for the categories indicating "SAEM-approved".
View the SAEM Fellowship Approval Program Success Stories to learn more about the impact approval has on fellows.
- Application fee is $400 at the time of submission.
- Annual fee of $150 for years 1 and 2.
- Annual fee of $200 for year 3 and beyond.
- Please make check payable to "SAEM" and reference "[Type of fellowship] Fellowship Application."
- Checks can be mailed to: SAEM, 1111 East Touhy Ave, Suite 540, Des Plaines, IL 60018 or faxed using the credit card form [pdf] to (847) 813-5450.
New Application Deadline: March 31st annually
Renewal Application Deadline: September 30th annually
- Renewal applications are due the 3rd year after initial application is approved.
- Subsequent renewals are due every 5 years.
How to Submit
All applications and evaluations must be submitted through the online portal by 5pm Central Time on the deadline. If the deadline falls on a holiday or weekend, applications will be accepted on the next business day.
(Non-research fellowships only)
Annual Fellowship Evaluations are required of approved programs on March 31st each year. The annual evaluation will ask you to list graduating fellows. Please make sure to complete this form in order for your fellows to receive their certificate.
- Be signed up for a fellowship at an SAEM-approved institution.
- Be a current member of SAEM, and maintain membership in SAEM throughout the fellowship training.
- Meet the learning objectives in the SAEM application.
Registration - Research Fellows Only
- Must be a member of SAEM to register.
- Fellows enrolling in the SAEM Fellowship Approval Program must complete and submit the Fellow Registration Form to SAEM by the published deadline.
- No fee is required to register.
- Once the registration is approved, the fellow is enrolled in the program. A letter will be sent to the fellow indicating he or she is now enrolled.
Progress and final reports
- Annual progress reports are required from all registered fellows on September 14 (or next business day if the deadline falls on a weekend).
- If a required report is not received within 10 business days of the deadline, the fellow will be dropped from the program.
- SAEM membership dues must be up to date in order to submit all required reports.
- Submit the final progress report within two years of the conclusion of fellowship training.
- Final approval reports must be received by the published deadline with all required documentation to be considered for review.
- Upon completion of all required reports, and upon favorable decision from the review committee, participants will be determined to be SAEM-approved fellows. This means that the fellow has successfully completed a high-quality fellowship as determined by SAEM.
- A certificate will be mailed to fellows who have passed the program.
- Once the fellowship is complete, no additional steps are required of the fellow to maintain approval.