SAEM identifies up to two (2) recipients for the Mid-Career Investigator Award. This award recognizes those SAEM members who have demonstrated commitment and achievement in research during the mid-stage of their academic career. The Society’s core mission includes the creation of knowledge, and this award recognizes those who have achieved success in this sphere. The awards committee is committed to an inclusive process of granting awards, reflecting the full spectrum of diversity of our membership. We encourage you to nominate a diverse pool of candidates for all SAEM awards.
Award Nominations are Now Closed.
Any SAEM member may nominate a candidate.
The specific criteria for the award include:
- Training and certification in emergency medicine or an ABEM subspecialty
- Candidates must have completed initial residency training between June 30, 2004 and June 30, 2012, unless the candidate meets criteria for extension of young investigator status (as per the NIH Early Stage Investigator policy, available here (grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/...). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an extension.
- Fellowship training does not affect the requirement for defining a mid-career investigator
- Academic accomplishments (which may include):
- Post-graduate training/education: research fellowship, master's program, doctoral program, etc.
- Publications: original scientific manuscripts (one of the two most weighted criteria), abstracts, review articles, chapters, case reports, etc.
- Grant awards (also one of the most weighted criteria)
- Presentations at scientific meetings
- Research awards/recognition
The nomination must include:
- A current CV of the candidate
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) biographical summary
- A cover letter by the nominator addressing above areas and the impact/future potential of the work on emergency medicine and physicians (limited to 2 pages)
- While not required, no more than 2 additional support letters may be forwarded (each limited to 2 pages)
- A color photo of the nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.