Excellence in Research Award
This award honors a SAEM member who has made outstanding contributions to emergency medicine through the creation and sharing of new knowledge. The Awards Committee wishes to consider as many exceptional candidates as possible.
2018 Award Winner: Henry E. Wang, MD, MPH, MS, UT Health
Previous awardees (including any Hal Jayne awardees prior to 2009) are ineligible. Candidates may be nominated by any SAEM member and are evaluated by the Awards Committee on their accomplishments in knowledge creation, including:
1. Research Accomplishments
- Original research in peer-reviewed journals
- Research support generated through grants and contracts (federal, foundation and industry)
- Peer-reviewed research presentations (lecture, abstract, panel)
- Impact of discovery
2. Training and mentorship of other investigators (faculty, fellows, residents and medical students)
- Peer review journal positions
- Grant review panel membership
- Local, regional and national organizational service relating to research
- National and international speaking invitations.
- Recognition or awards by students, residents, or peers
- Regional, national, or international recognition or awards
The nomination must include:
- A current CV of the candidate
- A brief (1-2 paragraph) biographical summary
- A cover letter by the nominator addressing above areas and the impact on emergency medicine, delivery of care or understanding of illness/therapy (limited to 2 pages)
- While not mandatory, a maximum of two (2) additional support letters may be submitted (each limited to 2 pages)
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (including mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.