RAMS Leadership in Emergency Medicine Award
The RAMS Leadership in Emergency Medicine Award is open to any U.S. medical student or practicing emergency medicine resident taking a leading role in their student interest group or residency program and making an impact on the local, regional, national, or international level through their efforts.
The nomination period for 2024 SAEM Awards is October 1 to December 9, 2023.
New this year, the SAEM Awards Committee has developed a standardized letter template for you to use when creating your nomination packet.Submit Your Nomination Download Nomination Letter Template
- It is imperative to show adequate leadership skills as a physician, but more so in emergency medicine than perhaps any other speciality. The environment of the emergency department is fast-paced and hectic, thus requiring superior leadership skills. Leadership blends effective communication, quick thinking, initiative, and a level demeanor into one. Please provide an example of how you, as a medical student or an emergency medicine resident, were able to find the balance to perform as a leader in an emergent clinical situation. (Word limit: 500 words)
- Leadership goes beyond the emergency department. As an aspiring or young physician, it is imperative to demonstrate the qualities of a good leader even outside of the clinic. Please describe a non-clinical situation where you demonstrated leadership and why this was significant. (Word limit: 500 words)
Nominations may be submitted by any SAEM member. Nominations should include a copy of the candidate's CV and a cover letter describing his or her qualifications. Each completed application must include the following:
- Nominee information
- Nominee’s CV
- An essay addressing each of the two prompts above (please download the standardized letter template to create your essay)
- Letter of recommendation from faculty mentor, residency program director, or department chair (these may use the standardized letter template or be written free-form, limited to 2 pages)
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.