RAMS Leadership in Emergency Medicine Award
Nominations Open October 1, 2022
This award is open to any US medical student or practicing emergency medicine resident taking a leading role in their student interest group or residency program and making an impact on the local, regional, national, or international level through their efforts.
- It is imperative to show adequate leadership skills as a physician, but more so in emergency medicine than perhaps any other speciality. The environment of the emergency department is fast-paced and hectic, thus requiring superior leadership skills. Leadership blends effective communication, quick thinking, initiative, and a level demeanor into one. Please provide an example of how you, as a medical student or an emergency medicine resident, were able to find the balance to perform as a leader in an emergent clinical situation. (Word limit: 500 words)
- Leadership goes beyond the emergency department. As an aspiring or young physician, it is imperative to demonstrate the qualities of a good leader even outside of the clinic. Please describe a non-clinical situation where you demonstrated leadership and why this was significant. (Word limit: 500 words)
Nominations may be submitted by any SAEM member. Nominations should include a copy of the candidate's CV and a cover letter describing his or her qualifications. Each completed application must include the following:
- Nominee information
- Nominee’s CV
- An essay addressing each of the two prompts above
- Letter of recommendation from faculty mentor, residency program director, or department chair
- A color photo of nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution)
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.