Education Research Training Grant
Status: OPEN May 1, 2023
Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
The following provides an overview of this grant. For complete instructions on applying, please see the Detailed Instructions.For submission instructions and SAEMF policies, visit How To Apply. For answers to other common questions, visit our Grants FAQ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
The SAEMF Education Research Training Grant awards $100,000 over a two-year period ($50,000 per year) starting July 1 to support a fellow or junior faculty member in education research training, including pursuit and preferably completion of an advanced degree in education. This award strives to foster innovation in teaching, education, and educational research in emergency medicine for faculty-, fellow-, resident- and medical student-level learners.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE AWARD
The Education Research Training Grant recipient is expected to:
- Execute a novel educational project that can be used by educators within SAEM and emergency medicine. The project should be measurable, reproducible, and its outcomes able to be disseminated to the SAEM membership.
- Complete a mentored education research training program that includes elements appropriate for the needs and educational career development of the applicant. Applicants without an advanced degree related to medical education research (ex. Masters/PhD in Medical Education, Masters in Clinical Research) are encouraged to seek one as part of the training plan.
- Receive sufficient departmental and institutional support to limit clinical (including moonlighting) or administrative work to no more than 16 hours per week.
- Attend the SAEM Annual Meeting during both years of the award.
- Submit interim and final progress reports in accordance with SAEMF instructions.
- Submit an abstract reporting the results of the research project for presentation at the SAEM Annual Meeting. As the selection of research abstracts is a competitive process, acceptance is not assured.
- Publish a manuscript (first-authored by the awardee) arising from the project in a peer-reviewed journal within two years of completing the award.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
An applicant for the Education Research Training Grant must:
- Be a member of SAEM in good standing at application deadline and during the entire award period.
- Have an advanced/doctoral or terminal educational degree (e.g., MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, DSc or equivalent).
- Hold a university appointment in or be actively involved (e.g., have an adjunct appointment) with a department or division of emergency medicine or pediatric emergency medicine at the start of the award period. The applicant may work as a clinician at an institution other than the host institution or the institution at which the project will be conducted.
- Be an early career researcher, defined as completing initial residency training within eight (8) years of the start of the award period. SAEMF will consider requests for exceptions to this requirement for various reasons, including but not limited to medical concerns, disability, and active-duty military service. Each of these requests is reviewed on a case by case basis, and must be made prior to the application deadline. SAEM will approve an automatic extension of one year for childbirth within the early career period. All extension requests must be made to email@example.com before the nomination deadline. Fellowship training does not affect the requirement for defining an early career researcher.
- Not have received an SAEMF Education Research Training Grant (formerly Education Fellowship grant) previously.
- Show potential for leadership in medical education, including residency programs, medical student clerkships, and medical school courses.
Full Eligibility Criteria, Detailed Instructions, and Additional Information for SAEMF Grants can be found here.