Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine (AWAEM) Research Grant
Status: OPEN May 1, 2023
Application Deadline: August 1, 2023
The following provides an overview of the SAEMF/Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine (AWAEM) Research Grant. For complete instructions on applying, please see the Detailed Instructions. For submission instructions and SAEMF policies, visit How To Apply. For answers to other common questions, visit our Grants FAQ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
The SAEMF/AWAEM Research Grant awards $5,000 over a one-year period starting July 1 to support one early career investigator to address a research question in line with the core ideology of the Academy of Women in Academic Emergency Medicine, as described below:
A. To enhance the recruitment, promotion, and retention of women in academic emergency medicine throughout their careers. To supply our members with readily available materials to promote professional development and notify them of leadership opportunities both within Emergency Medicine and schools of medicine. To support women in academic Emergency Medicine through recognition of their accomplishments, mentorship and networking, and by promoting collaboration both among the AWAEM membership as well as other national medical organizations.
B. To identify gender gaps and organizational practices that hamper the advancement of women emergency medicine practitioners and researchers and also address these issues through the development and promotion of best practices and career strategies for women in Emergency Medicine.
C. To advance research that supports 1) the core purposes of the organization, and 2) leads to an understanding of the role that sex and gender play in emergency patient care
This award is intended to allow for preliminary data collection, analysis or collection of pilot data that will further support greater research endeavors.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE AWARD
The SAEMF/AWAEM Research Grant awardee is expected to:
- Attend the SAEM Annual Meeting during the award year.
- Submit interim and final progress reports in accordance with SAEMF instructions.
- Submit an abstract reporting the results of the research project for presentation at the SAEM Annual Meeting. As the selection of research abstracts is a competitive process, acceptance is not assured.
- Publish a manuscript (first-authored by the awardee) arising from the project in a peer-reviewed journal within two years of completing the award.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
An applicant for the AWAEM Research Grant must:
- Be a member of SAEM in good standing at application deadline and during the entire award period.
- Have an advanced/doctoral or terminal educational degree (e.g., MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, DSc or equivalent).
- Hold a university appointment in or be actively involved (e.g., have an adjunct appointment) with a department or division of emergency medicine or pediatric emergency medicine at the start of the award period. The applicant may work as a clinician at an institution other than the host institution or the institution at which the project will be conducted.
- Be an early career researcher, defined as completing initial residency training within eight (8) years of the start of the award period. SAEMF will consider requests for exceptions to this requirement for various reasons, including but not limited to medical concerns, disability, and active-duty military service. Each of these requests is reviewed on a case by case basis, and must be made prior to the application deadline. SAEM will approve an automatic extension of one year for childbirth within the early career period. All extension requests must be made to email@example.com before the nomination deadline. Fellowship training does not affect the requirement for defining an early career researcher.
Full Eligibility Criteria, Detailed Instructions, and Additional Information for SAEMF Grants can be found here.
Updated March 13, 2023