Applications for this grant will be accepted from May 1, 2024 to August 1, 2024This document provides an overview of this grant. For complete instructions on applying, please see the Detailed Instructions. For submission instructions and SAEMF policies, visit How To Apply. For answers to other common questions, visit our Grants FAQ or email email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
The SAEMF ARMED MedEd Pilot Grant awards $25,000 over a one-year period starting July 1 to support the development of an education scientist in emergency medicine. Its specific goals are:
- Enable the awardee to spend one year in a mentored research project designed to facilitate personal/professional development and position them to obtain additional extramural funding (either through the development of advanced skills and/or creation of pilot data).
- Increase the likelihood of the selection of an academic and education research-focused career by the awardee through specific career development, targeted mentorship, and institutional sponsorship.
- Encourage the awardee’s academic development and involvement in emergency medicine education research.
EXPECTATIONS OF THE AWARD
The ARMED MedEd Grant awardee is expected to:
- Attend the SAEM Annual Meeting during both years of the award.
- Submit interim and final progress reports in accordance with SAEMF instructions.
- Submit an abstract reporting the results of the research project for presentation at the SAEM Annual Meeting. As the selection of research abstracts is a competitive process, acceptance is not assured.
- Publish a manuscript (first-authored by the awardee) arising from the project in a peer-reviewed journal within two years of completing the award.
- Acquire research skills and preliminary or pilot data through the financial support of the grant.
- Receive strong mentorship.
- Complete a research project that will help develop the awardee’s research and academic career.
- Develop the fundamental skills necessary to succeed as an education research scientist and to successfully compete for subsequent funding.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE AWARD
An applicant for the ARMED MedEd Pilot Grant must:
- Have graduated from the SAEM Advanced Research Methodology Evaluation and Design MedEd (ARMED MedEd) Course by the start of the grant period. Preference will be given to applicants within five years of graduation from ARMED MedEd.
- Be a member of SAEM in good standing at application deadline and during the entire award period.
- Have an advanced/doctoral or terminal educational degree (e.g., MD, DO, PhD, PharmD, DSc or equivalent).
- Hold a university appointment in or be actively involved (e.g., have an adjunct appointment) with a department or division of emergency medicine or pediatric emergency medicine at the start of the award period. The applicant may work as a clinician at an institution other than the host institution or the institution at which the project will be conducted.
- Not have previously received an SAEMF ARMED MedEd Pilot Grant, SAEMF Education Research Training Grant, or another grant with similar purpose from another entity, prior to the start of the ARMED MedEd Pilot Grant period. Eligibility will be assessed at the time of the award decision, so applicants funded by a disqualifying source after submission of their application may become ineligible as a result of subsequent funding decisions.
Full Eligibility Criteria, Detailed Instructions, and Additional Information for SAEMF Grants can be found here.
Updated March 13, 2023