Goals for SAEM’s DEI Curriculum
SAEM's Equity and Inclusion Committee has developed a new DEI curriculum with the following goals:
- This content can be adapted for use in local departments based on local needs
- Help provide structure for regular and recurring reflection, discussion, and awareness of DEI topics
- Demystify DEI definitions and terminology so that everyone can participate in DEI discussions
- Personalize DEI issues by highlighting relevant case studies and discussion questions
- Prompt discussion of local issues and help foster local solutions
- Increase DEI engagement and spread the duties for presenting and discussing this material to ALL department members (not only those interested in DEI) by providing access to organized, easy-to use materials.
For each topic in the curriculum, we aim to present a collection of resources that can be used in a scalable manner to provide content for a wide range of needs, varying both in the target audience and in the time available for presentation. From a 10- minute intro and discussion prompt at a departmental faculty meeting to an hour-long interactive learning session for residents and students, users can choose the resources that best fit their application and adapt and refine them as needed.