AEM E&T Fellow-in-Training Editor Program
The fellow appointment to the Editorial Board of AEM E&T is intended to mentor a medical education fellow in the process of peer review, editing, and publishing of education research manuscripts.
Deadline: February 28, 2018
- 1-page statement of interest
- Current CV
- Letter of support from residency director and fellowship director (if current resident) that includes support for time to complete the requirements of the fellow editor
- Letter of support from fellowship director (if current fellow) that includes support for time to complete the requirements of the fellow editor
The appointment is for a 12-month commitment. Candidates must be an SAEM member or become an SAEM member during the 12-month period. In addition, candidates must be a current resident who will start a medical education fellowship in the summer of 2018 or a current fellow in a 1- or 2-year medical education fellowship program. Members of the selection committee include the Editor-in-Chief and other decision editors to select candidates for the final review. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated and have an interest in medical publishing, editing, and peer review. Authorship of publications is desirable but not required.
Duties and responsibilities
The position will include the following activities that will be coordinated and supervised by AEM E&T’s Fellow-in-Training Editor Program Director.
The total expected time commitment is 2-4 hours each week. It is expected that the fellowship director will work closely with the fellow to ensure that time will be made available for attendance at the editorial board meetings and other required activities. A letter of commitment from the residency director (for current senior residents) and the fellowship director (for current fellows) allowing the fellow to attend editorial board activities is required prior to appointment.
General orientation (during the 1st month)
- Learn the history and purpose of disseminating scholarship in scholarly journals
- Learn about the peer review process and how it continues to evolve
- Learn how a manuscript is submitted and the various levels of decision-making involved before a manuscript qualifies for publication
Attend monthly editorial board meetings (by phone) and in-person at two SAEM annual meetings (2018 and 2019)
The fellow will meet monthly with the AEM E&T’s Fellow-in-Training Editor Program director by tele-conferencing or in-person.
Scope of responsibilities
The fellow will work with the Fellow-in-Training Editor Program Director to focus on and further develop their skills within the following scope of work: writing, editing, and reviewing. In addition, the fellow will develop and implement a project to improve the journal or submit a didactic proposal to the SAEM annual meeting on behalf of the journal.
Refining writing skills
- The fellow will write 1-2 AEM E&T e-newsletter updates for the SAEM membership
- The fellow will submit and have accepted at least 1 commentary for publication in AEM E&T
- The fellow will assist the Editor-in-Chief in writing the commentary for one EIC Pick of The Month
- The fellow will follow at least 3 manuscripts from submission to decision under the supervision of an assigned editor mentor
- The fellow will assist their assigned editor mentor to select peer reviewers, determine a decision, draft a consensus decision letter to authors, and participate in other activities related to the manuscript review process.
- The fellow will learn about the ethics of biomedical publishing from participation in activities sponsored by the Committee on Ethical Publishing (COPE)
- The fellow will attend AEM’s peer reviewer workshop at SAEM 2018 and SAEM 2019
- Complete an online peer reviewer webinar
- Serve as a peer reviewer for at least 3 submissions to AEM E&T under the direct supervision of their assigned editor mentor
For more information or to submit an application, email Decision Editor Esther Chen.