Andrew S. Nugent, MD, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Moderated by: Vytas Karalius, MD, MPH, MA, Northwestern Medicine
What you’ll learn from Dr. Nugent:
- The University of Iowa has started an EM residency and achieved department status while you have been on faculty. Tell us about your motivation to do this, and tell us about what it took to achieve this.
- Things must look a lot different in the ED at Iowa, from when you started! How have these developments changed the way that emergency care is delivered in your setting? What were some of the ups and downs of such big changes?
- Leadership comes with challenges. What are some of the more difficult decisions that you have had to make in your career?
- What are your thoughts on mentorship in emergency medicine? How have you developed these relationships in your career?
- You have held national leadership roles, including past president of the Association of Academic Chairs of Emergency Medicine. How did you start down a path to these roles? What are the benefits of holding these types of roles?
- What can residents and early career faculty do to position themselves for senior leadership roles as their careers progress?
- Do you have any other advice or wisdom for our listeners?