SonoGames® is a national ultrasound competition in which residents demonstrate their skills and knowledge of point-of-care ultrasound in an exciting and educational format. Over 300 emergency medicine residents battle it out in front of hundreds of spectators to prove they have mastered the skills to become SonoChamps and bring home the SonoCup! Please submit questions to the SonoGames Committee.
The Academy of Emergency Ultrasound is thrilled to announce that registration is open for the first all-virtual SonoGames, taking place May 14th, 2021 at 9am-1pm CT. We have been working hard to make sure that SonoGames remains a top-tier educational and entertaining experience for resident sonologists.
As you can imagine, SonoGames will look differently this year than it has in the past. As part of the virtual environment, we will have two, scored competitions as a leadup to the main event during virtual SAEM, this first of which will be announced on February 1st (which also happens to be when early bird registration closes!). Even if you miss that deadline, that’s okay! We continue to take teams up until the day before the event!
We are also changing the format of the team structure. This year, the competing team will be the residency program, not solely three individuals. There will be more opportunities to get larger groups of residents involved in the process and contribute to the team. There will be two, scored, pre-conference virtual events as well as SonoGames itself. While each individual event may have a limit in the number of participants, there is no expectation that the residents involved in one event also be the exact same as are involved in another. All residencies, within the US or abroad are eligible to compete!
There will be more information to come on February 1st. With the help of our virtual overlords, we are excited to share this SonoGames experience with all of you!
The SonoGames Executive Committee
View videos from past SonoGames!
Winners received 3 Butterfly iQ devices courtesy of Butterfly Network!
Thank you to our 2021 Gold Sponsors!
Interested in sponsoring an upcoming SonoGames®? Send us your completed SonoGames Sponsorship Form
Round 1 Instructions:
Your mission: To create an amazingly awesome, creative, engaging 3 min video that teaches something about ultrasound
Who: At least 3 residents (for international programs: junior / senior house officer level), but can include more. Please contact us for more questions.
Why: Fun fun fun! But also, these videos will be uploaded to AEUS’s Youtube Channel and show off your educational skills / originality to the world.
Deadline: March 5th, 2021
There is no need to buy fancy AV equipment. Extremely high quality videos can be made with standard smartphones, tablets, webcams, zooms, and other equipment you are likely to already have.
- Submit videos as .mp4 files
- Recommended: 1080p (1920 x 1980) or 720p (1280 x 720)
- We would not recommend using 2k or 4k settings, as this will quickly eat up your space and our file size limits.
- File size should not exceed 800 MB.
- If it does, or if Youtube rejects it, there’s a chance that we’ll have to throw the submission out.
- When finished, email the video to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this email, include your residency name. (work best if you send to us from a gmail account because it can handle larger file sizes).
- Complete the Round 1 Submission Form.
Tips for making a cool video:
- Be sure that no actual patients or Protected Health Information are visible in this film.
- Plan content, create scripts, do dry runs and test audio before recording.
- Minimize background noise / distractions
- If you need, here’s some free video editing software options: Quicktime (it’s usually already on all macs), Lightworks, VideoPad, HitFilm Express, VSDC Free Video Editor, OpenShot, Movie Maker 10, iMovie
Scoring will be based on: Topic, Content accuracy & quality, Composition, Quality of the teaching / presenting, and Creativity. Once the submission deadline has passed, videos may be open to public voting. HAVE FUN!