Outstanding Department Award for Excellence and Innovation in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
SAEM seeks nominations for the Outstanding Department Award for Excellence and Innovation in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). This award honors an Emergency Medicine Department that has shown significant support for DEI through organizational initiatives that address the recruitment, development, and advancement of its physicians, promoting equity, diversity, opportunity and inclusion. Previous Outstanding Department Award winners will not be eligible for five years.
The nomination period for 2024 SAEM Awards is October 1 to December 9, 2023.
New this year, the SAEM Awards Committee has developed a standardized letter template for you to use when creating your nomination packet.Submit Your Nomination Download Nomination Letter Template
- Applicant departments must be academic, defined by having an EM training program.
- Divisions or departments of EM are eligible.
- Pediatric EM divisions housed within a department of Pediatrics or PEM departments within a Children’s Hospital are not eligible. PEM divisions housed within a Department of EM may be considered as part of a department’s application.
Selection Criteria: Nominated Departments will be judged for evidence of:
- Approaches for supporting the recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse faculty, residents, and staff including evidence of success
- Innovative approaches to support the unique faculty development needs of faculty from historically underrepresented backgrounds
- Environment of transparency and parity with respect to salary, benefits, and the promotions process
The nomination must include:
- One nomination letter from a Chair, Vice Chair, Hospital President or Medical School Dean, explaining why the department merits the award
- One support letter from a departmental faculty member
- Letters of support should include examples of the programs and practices mentioned in Selection Criteria above (please download the standardized letter template to create your cover letter)
- A color photo of the department or the academic center's logo (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution) - photos will not be shared with reviewers
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received