Outstanding Department Award for Excellence and Innovation in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Nominations Open October 1, 2022
SAEM seeks nominations for the Outstanding Department Award for Excellence and Innovation in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). This award honors an Emergency Medicine Department that has shown significant support for DEI through organizational initiatives that address the recruitment, development, and advancement of its physicians, promoting equity, diversity, opportunity and inclusion. Previous Outstanding Department Award winners will not be eligible for 5 years.
- Applicant departments must be academic, defined by having an EM training program.
- Divisions or departments of EM are eligible.
- Pediatric EM divisions housed within a department of Pediatrics or PEM departments within a Children’s Hospital are not eligible. PEM divisions housed within a Department of EM may be considered as part of a department’s application.
Nominated Departments will be judged for evidence of:
- Approaches for supporting the recruitment, retention and advancement of diverse faculty, residents, and staff including evidence of success
- Innovative approaches to support the unique faculty development needs of faculty from historically underrepresented backgrounds
- Environment of transparency and parity with respect to salary, benefits, and the promotions process
The nomination must include:
- One nomination letter explaining why the department merits the award
- The letter should include examples of the programs and practices mentioned above.
- The letter should come from a Chair, Vice Chair, Hospital President or Medical School Dean.
- One support letter from a departmental faculty member.
- A color photo of the nominee (.jpg 300 DPI high resolution) - photos will not be shared with reviewers
- Person nominating award candidate (include mailing address, phone and fax numbers and email address)
- Contact information of department administrator or media persons that should be notified if the award is received.