The Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine (CDEM) is the national organization representing undergraduate medical education in emergency medicine. CDEM was formed in 2008 and became the first Academy of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM). CDEM is comprised of medical student educators who are committed to enhancing medical student education within our specialty.
- To advance the education of medical students as it pertains to the specialty of emergency and acute care medicine
- To serve as a unified voice for EM clerkship directors and medical student educators on a national level
- To provide a forum for EM clerkship directors and medical student educators to communicate, share ideas, and generate solutions for common problems
- To foster undergraduate medical education research and provide a platform for collaboration
- To foster the professional development and career satisfaction of EM clerkship directors and medical student educators
- To foster relationships with other organizations to promote medical education
- National Curriculum (Acad Emerg Med. 2010 Jun;17(6):638-43)
- Pediatric and Third Year Curricula
- Voting member of Alliance for Clinical Education
- SAEM Tests
- Online resources in the form of blogs, podcasts, and more for both educators and students
- Multiple collaborative projects with other institutions and organizations
CDEM Strategic Plan
View the CDEM Strategic Plan.
Purpose and Function of an SAEM Academy
An Academy provides a venue for SAEM members with a special interest or expertise to join together in order to:
- Promote a forum for the exchange of information among members in line with SAEM’s mission to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine
- Provide the SAEM Board of Directors (BOD) with the ability to utilize the expertise of an identifiable group on specific issues
- Provide a forum for members to speak as a unified voice to the SAEM BOD as well as to other national organizations within their scope of special interest or expertise
- Provide a forum for members to network, collaborate on educational initiatives, develop policy, perform research, and provide faculty development pertaining to their area of special interest or expertise
Each SAEM Academy has a unique and powerful voice within emergency medicine. SAEM members who wish to learn more or have a greater impact in one of these specialty areas are encouraged to join our Academies.