The Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine (AWAEM) was established in 2009 to promote the recruitment, retention, advancement and leadership of women in academic emergency medicine. The success of academic emergency medicine and the ability of the specialty to train future emergency physicians are intrinsically linked with the success of women faculty as they now represent half of the medical student body and almost half of physicians.
- to initiate and support a network for female physicians to facilitate mentoring and research collaboration;
- to compile and share knowledge, information, and resources concerning issues pertaining to women in academic EM through research, education, and faculty development initiatives;
- to create and sustain a systematic framework for attracting women in medical school and residency to academic EM;
- to provide for the ongoing retention and advancement of women in academic emergency medicine, in areas such as faculty development and leadership mentoring;
- to identify possible barriers to the advancement of women in academic emergency medicine and develop strategies to address them;
- to monitor statistics on women in academic emergency medicine to better understand the issues facing our specialty and to measure outcomes.
Purpose and Function of an SAEM Academy
An Academy provides a venue for SAEM members with a special interest or expertise to join together in order to:
- Promote a forum for the exchange of information among members in line with SAEM’s mission to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine.
- Provide the SAEM Board of Directors (BOD) with the ability to utilize the expertise of an identifiable group on specific issues.
- Provide a forum for members to speak as a unified voice to the SAEM BOD as well as to other national organizations within their scope of special interest or expertise.
- Provide a forum for members to network, collaborate on educational initiatives, develop policy, perform research, and provide faculty development pertaining to their area of special interest or expertise.
Each SAEM Academy has a unique and powerful voice within emergency medicine. SAEM members who wish to learn more or have a greater impact in one of these specialty areas are encouraged to join our Academies.
SAEM Academy Development Guidelines
Download a copy of the guidelines for the development of SAEM Academies.