AWAEM Outstanding Department Award
This award goes to the Emergency Medicine Department that has shown support of women in academic EM through organizational initiatives that address the recruitment, development and advancement of its women physicians, promoting gender equality, diversity, opportunity and inclusion.
- Applicant departments must be academic, defined by having an EM training program
- Divisions or departments of EM are eligible
- Pediatric EM divisions housed within a department of Pediatrics or PEM departments within a Children’s Hospital are not eligible. PEM divisions housed within a Department of EM may be considered as part of a department’s application.
Nominated Departments will be judged for evidence of:
- Global approaches for supporting the recruitment, retention and advancement of women in EM
- Family friendly policies that support work/life integration
- Large percentage of female faculty or recent recruitment of female faculty
- High retention of female faculty
- Large percentage of women in leadership positions, including administrative positions and academic rank
- Environment of transparency with respect to salary, benefits, and the promotions process
- One nomination letter explaining why the department merits the award.
- The letter should include examples of the programs and practices mentioned above.
- The letter should come from a Chair, Vice Chair, Hospital President or Medical School Dean.
- One support letter from departmental faculty member.
*Previous Outstanding Department Award winners will not be eligible for 5 years.
- Submit the CV and nomination letter to Andrea Fang, MD at email@example.com with the subject line “2020 AWAEM Department Award"