Work like an adult, don't play like one...
For three years running, we have transformed a basic ballroom into THE most amazing dodgeball court ever, complete with bleachers, hot dogs, and cold suds… And we’re doing it again for SAEM20!
Sponsored in part by:
THE RULES ARE:
- Trophies will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams.
- Prizes will be awarded for best team uniforms and names.
- The tournament will be a 16-team, double-elimination format.
- Teams must be coed and made up of 6-10 players.
- Six players will compete on a side. At least 2 players from each gender must participate at the start of the game.
- Other team members will serve as substitutes. Substitutes may enter the game only during timeouts or in the case of injury.
- The hotel ballroom will serve as the playing field.
- The field shall be divided into 2 equal sections by a center line and attack lines, parallel to the center line.
THE GAME. THE OBJECT IS TO ELIMINATE ALL OPPOSING PLAYERS BY:
- Stepping over a sideline or center line (except for the opening rush).
- Hitting an opposing player with a live thrown ball below the shoulders.
- Catching a live ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
If you are out, line up on the side in the order you became out (think of it as being in a “resurrection” line). If your teammate catches a ball, the player at the start of your team’s “resurrection” line comes back into play. A “live” ball is one that has been thrown and has not touched anything, including the floor/ground, another ball, another player, official or other item outside of the playing field (wall, ceiling, etc).
TIMING AND WINNING A GAME
- The first team to legally eliminate all opposing players will be declared the winner.
- A 3-minute time limit has been established for each contest. If neither team has been eliminated at the end of the 3 minutes, the team with the greater number of players remaining will be declared the winner.
TIME OUTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS BOUNDARIES:
- Each team is allowed one, 30-second time out per game. At this time a team may substitute players into the game.
- During play, all players must remain within the boundary lines.
- Players may leave the boundaries through their end line only to retrieve stray balls. They must also return through their end line.
THE OPENING RUSH
- The game begins by placing the dodge balls along the center line-- 3 on one side of the center hash and 3 on the other.
- Players then take a position behind their end line. Following a signal by the official, teams may approach the center line to retrieve balls. This signal officially starts the contest.
- Teams may only retrieve the 3 balls to their right of the center hash. Once a ball is retrieved it must be taken behind the attack line before it can be legally thrown.
- To reduce stalling, a violation will be called if a team in the lead controls all 6 balls on their side of the court for more than 5 seconds.
- Any player who holds onto a ball for more than 10 seconds without throwing it will be penalized for stalling and must forfeit it to the other side.
- Rules will be enforced primarily by the “honor system.”
- Players will be expected to rule whether or not a hit was legal or whether they were legally eliminated.
- The referee’s responsibility will be to rule in any situation on which teams cannot agree. The referee’s decision is final—No exceptions and no whining!