2020 SAEM Consensus Conference
Telehealth and Emergency Medicine: A Consensus Conference to Map the Intersection of Emergency Medicine and Telehealth*
Defining an Emergency Medicine Research Agenda
*Telehealth will be defined for this conference as the use of communication technology to facilitate the delivery of healthcare. These modalities include:
- Live video
- Asynchronous communication
- Store-and-forward data transfer
- Secure messaging
- Other data technologies
Registration opens December 1, 2019
Challenging Myths about Telehealth in Emergency Medicine
Judd Hollander, MD
Professor in Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University;
Associate Dean, Strategic Health Initiatives, Sidney Kimmel Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University
A New Paradigm of Healthcare Delivery: Digitally Engaged Patients
Executive Vice President and Chief Digital Officer, Providence St. Joseph Health
|Recognize, investigate and translate the impact of telehealth on the field of emergency medicine.|
Consolidate existing data on telehealth, develop actionable educational and research solutions for telehealth in EM.
|Highlight existing gaps in EM telehealth research, and create a roadmap for telehealth research in the ED.|
Deliver a consensus document to guide future research in telehealth for EM.
- Work will take place in breakout groups 2019-2020 via asynchronous work in ongoing flipped classroom and small group discussions.
- Small group efforts will be anchored by periodic "Town Hall" meetings.
- Small group working documents will be presented at national Conference and forged into consensus statement with input of national group
How Can You Get Involved?
- Attend the conference
- Join a breakout group
Breakout groups will start work in October 2019 and will investigate the current state of evidence for the breakout group topic. The groups will:
- Create a list of gaps in knowledge and evidence
- Present their findings at the Consensus Conference for discussion with attendees
- Write a manuscript of their findings
Emily Hayden, MD, MHPE
|Shruti Chandra, MD|
Thomas Jefferson University
|Christopher Davis, MD|
Denver Health Medical Center
|Peter Greenwald, MD, MS|
New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center