Medical Student Symposium
May 14, 2020
8:00 AM - 3:00PM
The Medical Student Symposium (MSS) will benefit individuals with an interest in emergency medicine (EM) including students with Allopathic, Osteopathic, and International Medicine backgrounds. It will include an overview of EM as a career choice and will discuss the residency application process. There will be specific discussions about clerkships, away rotations, personal statements, the match process, and interviews. There will also be ample time for questions and discussions during a lunch with EM Program Directors and Clerkship Directors. The SAEM Residency and Fellowship Fair (which showcases many of the EM programs in the country) will immediately follow the MSS and is part of the registration fee for this session.
- Determine if emergency medicine is the right career choice.
- Explore the training and practice options within the specialty of emergency medicine.
- Illustrate the process of the national residency match program.
- Discuss how to create the best application for success in the match.
- Highlight key components of a successful personal statement.
- Review the strategies to excel in EM rotations and how to complete and Away rotation.
- Be able to identify key strategies to have successful interview, including details about the Standardized Video Interview.