Founded in 2011, the Academy of Emergency Ultrasound (AEUS) is an international forum bringing together clinician sonologists with the common goal of advancing patient care and safety through the use of bedside ultrasound. AEUS task forces promote the development of training curricula for medical students, residents, and fellows, as well as of tools and resources for further research and development. AEUS is governed by an Executive Committee of volunteers that seek to uphold the mission of the academy. The AEUS Operational Guidelines provide structure to the role of AEUS and its volunteer leaders.
AEUS Mission Statement
Our Mission Is:
- To advance education and research of ultrasound for the bedside evaluation of emergency medical conditions, resuscitation of the acutely ill or injured, guidance of invasive procedures, monitoring of certain pathologic states and as an adjunct to therapy.
- To serve as a platform for discussion of subjects that are of concern to emergency medicine physicians practicing clinical sonography.
- To support medical student, resident, fellow, and practicing emergency physician ultrasound training and education.
- To foster individual and multicenter ultrasound research to advance the knowledge of our field and improve patient care, safety and emergency department patient flow.
- To work collaboratively with other organizations within emergency medicine, and across the specialties, through partnership, education, and to promote shared common interests.
Purpose and Function of an SAEM Academy
An Academy provides a venue for SAEM members with a special interest or expertise to join together in order to:
- Promote a forum for the exchange of information among members in line with SAEM’s mission to advance education and research in Emergency Medicine.
- Provide the SAEM Board of Directors (BOD) with the ability to utilize the expertise of an identifiable group on specific issues.
- Provide a forum for members to speak as a unified voice to the SAEM BOD as well as to other national organizations within their scope of special interest or expertise.
- Provide a forum for members to network, collaborate on educational initiatives, develop policy, perform research, and provide faculty development pertaining to their area of special interest or expertise.
Each SAEM Academy has a unique and powerful voice within emergency medicine. SAEM members who wish to learn more or have a greater impact in one of these specialty areas are encouraged to join our Academies.
SAEM Academy Development Guidelines
Download a copy of the guidelines for the development of SAEM Academies.