Your donation to SAEM Foundation will directly support frontline emergency care providers in the fight against COVID-19 by providing grant funding for COVID-19 research. SAEMF will award up to $50,000 in grants of various sizes to research the diagnostics, safety, therapeutics, disaster preparedness, or other aspects of emergency patient care during the COVID crisis.
Additionally, unrestricted gifts to SAEMF will help sustain research and educational research training throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our current grantees are facing many challenges with their research, such as:
- Enrollment for emergency care research that requires patient contact has halted in the ED to save Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for clinicians and to practice social distancing
- Some institutions are converting part of their emergency departments or research facilities into respiratory distress units for increased patient care
- Academicians are being called to work more clinical shifts to take care of patients
- Research staff have been reassigned to "other duties as directed"
- Focus has largely shifted to COVID-19 research
With this uncertainty and these widespread changes, the full impact on emergency medicine as a whole is still unknown. Help us reassure our academic emergency medicine colleagues that their research training will continue long after this pandemic. Please donate today!