We’re pleased to announce several enhancements to our grant programs for the current application cycle. If you are planning to apply for an SAEM Foundation grant this summer, make sure to review the information below and, if applicable, adjust your proposal.
Making Wellness Research a Priority
We’re pleased to introduce a new Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) for Wellness. Research topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- Awareness and recognition of the prevalence of emergency medicine (EM) physician burnout
- Risks of mental health problems, including depression and suicide
- Strategies to mitigate risks of mental health problems
Research supporting wellness in diversity, equity, and inclusion is also encouraged. Applications to this NOSI are encouraged in the Research Training Grant, Research Large Project Grant, Education Research Grant and Education Project Grant categories.
Flexibility for Research Training Grant Budget Allowances
The flagship Research Training Grant (RTG) provides $300,000 to one recipient per year for career development. In an effort to give grant recipients and institutions more flexibility with the RTG, funds may now be used for salary support or project expenses. We are pleased to share the following new Research Training Grant budget allowances:
- The Research Training Grant will provide a total of up to $150,000 per year for two years as support for the awardee. Detailed budgets will be required.
- Funds may be used for applicant salary or research support costs, but no administrative costs (secretarial support, laboratory space, etc.) will be permitted.
- Research coordinator(s) and research support are allowable expenses if they are a direct cost of the project.
- Fringe benefits for the applicant are permissible in addition to applicant salary. Funds may not be used to support the salaries or fringe benefits of mentors or coinvestigators.
Contact Grants@saem.org with any questions about this change.
Opportunities for More Team Science
Applicants with multiple principal investigators (PIs) may now submit a multiple PI plan for consideration in select grant categories. The SAEMF research community has requested opportunities to allow for multiple principal investigators to submit a single proposal that supports team science. This enhancement opens new opportunities for funding multiple PI projects through three of our high-impact funding mechanisms:
- Effective with the current application cycle that ends August 1, 2021, applicants for the Research Large Project Grant, Education Project Grant, and RAMS Research Grants are welcome to submit multiple PI proposals.
- Applications that use multiple PIs must have a defined, distinct role for each PI, with strong justification for why a multiple PI application is necessary. A one-page multiple PI project leadership plan is required for multiple PI applications.
- In order to be considered, each PI must individually meet the criteria for eligibility (including SAEM membership).
Grant Funding Available for EM Education, Research and TrainingAll grant applications for this cycle are due by 5 p.m. CT on August 1, 2021. Check out our Grant Submission Tutorial to get started. The SAEMF is accepting applications for the following funding mechanisms:
- Education Research Grant - $100,000
- Education Project Grant - $20,000
- Research Training Grant - $300,000 (updated budget allowances as of May 2021)
- Research Large Project Grant - $150,000
- Emerging Infectious Disease and Preparedness Grant - $100,000
- MTF/SAEMF Toxicology Research Grant - $10,000
- SAEMF/Clerkship Directors in Emergency Medicine Innovations in Undergraduate Emergency Medicine Education Grant - $5,000
- SAEMF/Academy Grants - Funding varies
- And many more!
To view a full list of grant offerings through the SAEMF, visit What We Fund.