Tuesday, May 16, 2017
8:00 am – 12:00 pm
Add pre-meeting workshops to your SAEM17 registration for an additional fee.
Through interactive sessions, panel discussions, standard didactic presentations, and group brainstorming, this workshop will provide a longitudinal curriculum towards diversity and inclusion, as well as broadcast and share best practices for improving attitudes and effecting change in regards to diversity. At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to effectively advocate for diversity in their institutions; serve as a sounding board for diversity issues that may occur in their institutions; discuss initiatives that address the ACGME and LCME diversity standards; and discuss best practices for teaching inclusion.
This session will address best practice to guide the advancement of diversity and inclusion in emergency medicine including system level changes and teaching inclusion.
At the completion of this session, participants should be able to:
1. List objective elements that diversity improves, as well as listing the ethical requirements for diversity.
2. Discuss best practice for leading system changes in diversity including developing a diversity vision and developing metrics to measure diversity and inclusion.
3. Discuss initiatives that address the ACGME and LCME diversity standards
4. Discuss strategies for mentoring URM and LGBT trainees
5. Discuss factors affecting black males in medicine and strategies that could improve the number of black males in medicine.
6. Discuss best practices for teaching inclusion, including challenges and successes in teaching inclusion.
8:00 AM Welcome - Ava Pierce, MD
8:05 AM Why Diversity Matters - Joel Moll, MD
8:20 AM Leading Systems Changes in Diversity - Bernie Lopez, MD; Lisa Moreno-Walton, MD
9:00 AM ACGME, LCME, AAMC – Alphabet Soup and Diversity and Inclusion - Sheryl Heron, MD; Marcia Perry, MD; Iris Reyes, MD
10:00 AM Mentoring URM and LGBT trainees - Joel Moll, MD; Marcia Perry, MD,
10:30 AM The Plight of Black Males in Medicine - Alden Landry, MD
11:00 AM Group inclusion education: How do you teach inclusion? - Jeffrey Druck, MD; Marquita Hicks, MD; Ava Pierce, MD