Resident Academic Leadership Forum (RALF)
In keeping with our mission of advancing leadership development among resident trainees in academic emergency medicine, SAEM is pleased to present the 2018 Resident Academic Leadership Forum (RALF) at this year's annual meeting in Indianapolis. The RALF is designed to enable current emergency medicine residents, our current chief residents in EM, and our future leaders in emergency medicine, to engage with senior leaders in our field; to develop strategies for the development of a roadmap to leadership in EM; to develop leadership and communication skills; and to overcome challenges facing resident leaders while developing wellness and time management skills. It is intended for junior leaders, senior leaders, and chief residents from national and international EM residencies. RALF will feature focused and dynamic didactic presentations, interactive sessions, panel discussions, and networking sessions with fellow resident leaders as well as established senior leaders in EM administration, education and research. We are excited to offer this program to our resident leaders, including emerging junior leaders, chief residents, and resident leaders in EMS/HEMS, EM research, EM education, and EM administration. We hope to see you in Indianapolis!
- Provide specific guidance on establishing a roadmap in to leadership in EM
- Develop and cultivate junior and senior emergency medicine residents to become the next generation of academic leaders in research, administration and education
- Nurture emergency medicine resident networking across institutions
- Develop specific leadership skills by improving approaches to communication
- Become better bedside educators and utilizers of academic resources
- Troubleshoot challenges facing resident leaders by learning from program directors, as well as a panel of former chief residents in EM
- Develop time management skills in order to maintain wellness and work-life balance as resident leaders
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe a roadmap to establishing a leadership career in academic emergency medicine, including targeted goals for working towards leadership positions in administration, research, and education in EM
- Identify skills required for success as a leader in EM including effective communication, time management, and developing a vision for a career in EM leadership
- Identify strategies for success as future leaders in medical education, including developing skills as a bedside educator, and as a utilizer of EM resources
- Explain the skills necessary to manage the challenges faced by resident leaders in emergency medicine administration including learning the art of middle management while maintaining wellness and work-life balance
- Identify the skills required for success as future leaders in emergency medicine research, including establishing goals for initiating research during residency.