Junior Faculty Development Forum (JFDF)
Friday, May 19, 2017
8:00 am - 2:00 pm
In keeping with our mission of advancing professional development in academic emergency medicine, SAEM is pleased to present the sixth annual Junior Faculty Development Forum (JFDF) at this year's annual meeting in Orlando. The JFDF is designed to enable junior faculty to engage with senior leaders in our field, to develop strategies for promotion, productivity, and academic advancement, and to enable them to become the next generation of leaders in our field. It will take place from 8:00 am - 2:00 pm on Friday, May 19th and is intended for fellows and early-career faculty who has recently secured faculty positions within academic emergency departments. The JFDF will feature focused didactic presentations from leaders in EM administration, education and research, as well as a Q & A panel of current and former Department Chairs. We are excited to offer this program for our junior faculty members, and hope to see you in Orlando!
- Provide specific guidance on building a foundation for success in academic EM
- Develop and cultivate junior faculty to become the next generation of academic leaders in research, administration and education
- Nurture emergency medicine junior faculty collegiality and collaborations across institution
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the structure of a career in academic emergency medicine, including the promotion process and the three major pathways for career development (administration, research, and education)
- Identify skills and required for success in EM administration and describe the differences between common EM administrative positions
- Identify strategies for success in medical education, including mechanisms for more effective teaching and feedback, and describe approaches for professionally documenting your efforts as a medical educator
- Explain the skills necessary for an emergency medicine research career and describe relevant grant funding mechanisms
- Describe specific strategies that the individual will use for success as a junior faculty member in the 12 months following the Annual Meeting
More information can be found in our Program Planner.