Junior Faculty Development Forum
Tuesday, May 14, 2019
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Register for SAEM19 now and sign up for the Junior Faculty Development Forum!
Junior Faculty Development Forum Agenda
This forum for fellows and early-career faculty will feature a networking session and luncheon where participants can engage with leaders in academia. The forum will also consist of small group sessions and activities; focused didactic presentations from leaders in emergency medicine administration, education and research; and a Q&A panel of current and former department chairs. Topics to be covered include academic leadership, conflict management, making the most of career opportunities, achieving work-life balance, and time management. The session will conclude with a “Personal Pathways in Academia Panel” offering pearls and personal anecdotes with important take-home messages for aspiring academicians.
- Provide specific guidance on building a foundation for success in academic EM
- Develop and cultivate junior faculty to become the next generation of academic leaders in research, administration and education
- Nurture emergency medicine junior faculty collegiality and collaborations across institutions
At the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the structure of a career in academic emergency medicine, including the promotion process and the three major pathways for career development (administration, research, and education)
- Identify skills required for success in EM administration and describe the differences between common EM administrative positions
- Identify strategies for success in medical education, including mechanisms for more effective teaching and feedback, and describe approaches for professionally documenting your efforts as a medical educator
- Explain the skills necessary for an emergency medicine research career and describe relevant grant funding mechanisms
- Describe specific strategies that the individual will use for success as a junior faculty member in the 12 months following the Annual Meeting